A blog of books I've been reading, and what I've thought of them. I KNOW I don't read enough etc. Don't make me feel any more guilty about it than I already do.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

"Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince" by JK Rowling

I'm the first to scoff at the world's love affair with Harry P as clever marketing, but still end up buying every one of them. I thought "The Order of The Phoenix" smelt a bit like a rush job, like old JK had got to get her kids' tea ready or something. This one was much better, the plot was gripping and reasonably complicated, the characters less two-dimensional than in the last one, and there was even some teenage love interest. The ending, however, is VERY unsatisfactory. I mean, you plough through all that and for what? For a "to be continued". There should be some element of conclusion there, some drawing together of the threads, and that was lacking. I suppose Dumbledore's funeral is supposed to serve that purpose but there were still too many questions surrounding his death for me to be able to concentrate properly on that. That said, it was still a good read so go on, get down to your local bookstore and buy it. You know you want to and I promise I won't tell anyone...

2 Comments:

Blogger NARDAC said...

I also initially scoffed at the whole Potter business. Then, last summer, I picked the first one up and read it in one day. For the next two weeks I digested the whole series. After killing off Sirius Black, I have to admit I lost a bit of the fire for the story. Sirius was really great and I actually like the Order of the Phoenix the best out of the lot, though I think she needs a better editor. Half-Blood was probably the least satisfying in the series and irked me since hardly any of the characters develop or change. They just are more underlined.

2:55 PM

 
Blogger rhino75 said...

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was trapped in Kuala Lumpur airport on my way back from vacation and thought, OK, I've got nothing else to read, I'll just try one. I read it cover-to-cover, went back into the bookstore, bought the second in the series and did the same thing again (it was en eight-hour stopover). And I agree wholeheartedly - Sirius Black is by far the best character.

12:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home