A blog of books I've been reading, and what I've thought of them. I KNOW I don't read enough etc. Don't make me feel any more guilty about it than I already do.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

I. Edwards-Jones - "Fashion Babylon"

Of course I enjoyed this - how could I not? The constant lure of another juicy tidbit of gossip keeps you turning the pages and you DO actually learn things about the fashion business - such as how much department stores rake off up-and-coming designers for stocking their clothes. But the pretence of maintaining any kind of plot is paper-thin. The only character that is fleshed out in slightly more detail is Alexander. Mimi the stylist and Lydia the model are little more than cardboard cut-outs. Plus, all the stuff about organising a fashion show really isn't that interesting. I have to say that after reading this, I'd be less tempted to read any of Imogen's other "Babylon" books, but I'm not going to be churlish about it, it IS perfect holiday reading, but much less fiction than journalism, written in that slightly breathy tabloid style, which promises much but ultimately leaves you wondering: "Is that all there is?" Favourite anecdote: Tom Ford ringing his PR to shout, re: Victoria Beckham, "You have to get that woman out of my clothes!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home